Saturday, June 2, 2007

Beyond Anger

I learned something very hard and real about myself this week. As much as I talk about showing love for all those around us and refraining from anger and living in peace, I am human and can fail even at what I try to live by, day in and day out. I never imagined that I could react in such ultimate anger, hatred and hurtful words. Certain situations have replayed in my mind, over and over again as if hitting the rewind button on a movie, only this is one scene that I wish would stop and just go away.

With my recent move, I had not found where I had packed the Devotional Book that my daughter gave me and yesterday it reappeared. Well, as I opened it this morning to read my daily devotional, I knew that I had missed several days and I was attempting to figure out what day this would be according to days in the year.

I have said it before and I will continue to claim this until the day I die, I am not perfect, I fall and stumble, but I will do all that is possible to correct my mistakes or better yet, I will do all I can to live a better life. I don’t like anger; it has no room in my life. I don’t like hatred, it poisons ones life and mind and those around you. Hatred has too many effects on a person. I don’t like being judgmental of people; I read somewhere that the more you judge, the less you love. I want to love everything in my life, everything and everyone around me, even those difficult to love. I guess I have been very judgmental in this one case, even when I thought I was being accepting. It’s hard not to judge when it involves one of your own family members and you feel deep within your heart that they are making a mistake in their life and that the road they are on is a destructive one, or one that will lead to more heartache. Forgive me Father for being judgmental in this situation.

Before getting to the right day, I opened the book to this page right off the bat, a message… maybe, but it had me reading…

Beyond Anger
Mockers can get a whole town agitated, but those who are wise will calm anger.
Proverbs 29:8 NLT

Your temper is either your master or your servant. Either you control it, or it controls you. And the extent to which you allow anger to rule your life will determine, to a surprising extent, the quality of your relationships with others and your relationship with God. Anger and peace cannot coexist in the same mind. If you allow yourself to be chronically angry, you must forfeit, albeit temporarily, the peace that might otherwise be yours through Christ. So obey God’s Word by turning away from anger today and every day. You’ll be glad you did, and so will your family and friends.
A Thought to Jump Start Your Day
Anger is the noise of the soul; the unseen irritant of the
heart; the relentless invader of silence.
Max Lucado

*I want to be a wise human being on this earth, one that will calm anger.

No comments: